Naples Drug Crime Attorneys
Ready to Help You Get Your Life Back on Track
At the Law Offices of Cavanaugh & Cavanaugh, P.A., our legal team of Naples drug crime defense lawyers have more than 40 years of combined experience protecting the rights and freedom of clients facing serious criminal charges. We pride ourselves for always doing what is best for our clients, which is why each person receives personalized and responsive legal assistance from start to finish. During this most difficult time, you need someone on your side who will fight for you every step of the way.
Call (239) 309-2006 or fill out our online contact form to discuss your case with our legal team today.
What Are the Different Types of Drug Crimes?
At the Law Offices of Cavanaugh & Cavanaugh, P.A., we have experience handling all types of drug crimes throughout Naples. These are some of the most common drug crimes we see:
- Drug Manufacturing
- Drug Possession
- Drug Distribution and Trafficking
- Prescription Drug Fraud
Penalties for Drug Crimes
In Florida, drug crimes are some of the most common offenses. Whether you are charged with simple possession or trafficking, a conviction can lead to a long jail or prison sentence, fines, and a criminal record that will haunt you for the rest of your life. However, with the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney, you may have an opportunity to avoid serving any time behind bars or even get your entire case dismissed.
Florida Drug Crimes
Florida laws, and even federal laws, classify all illegal and legal drugs into five “schedules” of controlled substances. The designation of each drug is based on their likelihood of abuse and medical acceptance.
The following is a breakdown of the five different categories of narcotics in Florida:
- Schedule I – These controlled substances are considered the most addictive with no medical value. Common examples include heroin, LSD, MDMA (ecstasy), magic mushrooms, and marijuana.
- Schedule II – These narcotics have a high potential for abuse and severely restricted medical acceptance. Common examples include cocaine, opium, oxycodone, hydrocodone, fentanyl, codeine, and methamphetamine.
- Schedule III – These drugs have a potential for abuse that is less than Schedule I or II substances and currently have accepted medical use. Common examples include anabolic steroids, testosterone, Vicodin, and drugs containing codeine
- Schedule IV – These drugs have a low potential for abuse and have current medical value. Common examples include Ambien, Xanax, and Valium.
- Schedule V – These substances have the lowest potential for abuse and are widely accepted in the medical field. Common examples include pain killers and over-the-counter cough medicines.
Penalties for Drug Possession
Possession of small amounts of Schedule I and II controlled substances can lead to felony charges, which carries imprisonment and fines worth thousands of dollars. However, most people charged with drug crimes are first time offenders who are battling addiction, which is why Florida courts offer rehabilitation and aid through the Drug Court program or Mental Health Diversion Program.
These programs typically last up to 12 months and require participants to meet certain conditions, such as treatment, meeting with counselors, random drug testing, and even court hearings. Successfully completing these programs will result in your case being dismissed and your charges expunged from your record.
Let Us Help You Immediately
Our firm understands what it takes to help our clients facing drug charges get the help they need to avoid conviction and overcome their substance abuse issues. Dan Cavanaugh has a background in Psychology and understands the importance of our clients’ mental health. We only want what is best of our clients inside and outside the courtroom. Do not hesitate to let our legal team help you throughout the legal process.
Call (239) 309-2006 today for experienced and effective legal services in Naples, Fort Myers, Bonita Springs, Marco Island, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres, and the surrounding areas. Se habla español!
Our Attorneys Have Over 40 Years of Combined Legal Experience
We Provide Personalized Attention & Customized Solutions
Attorney Dan Cavanaugh Trained Law Enforcement Officers
We Genuinely Care About Our Clients and Their Well-Being
Attorney Dan Cavanaugh Supervised Prosecutors in Five Counties
We Pride Ourselves On Excellent Client Communication