Fort Myers Criminal Defense Lawyer
Arrested in Fort Myers, FL? Let Our Firm Defend You Against Serious Charges!
If you were recently arrested in Florida, remember that does not mean you are automatically guilty of the alleged offense. You still have a chance to defend yourself and avoid serious consequences – such as jail time – with the help of an experienced criminal defense lawyer.
At the Law Offices of Cavanaugh & Cavanaugh, P.A., we are committed to protecting your rights and freedom inside and outside the courtroom. Our Fort Myers criminal defense attorney can investigate your arrest, collect and assess evidence, and help you either reduce the charges/sentence you face or get your entire case dismissed. Do not wait to let our firm help you get your life back on track.
We handle the following types of criminal cases in Fort Myers, FL:
Contact us at (239) 309-2006 for an initial consultation and discuss your case with our Fort Myers criminal defense lawyers from the Law Offices of Cavanaugh & Cavanaugh, P.A. today.
Florida Criminal Laws & Penalties
There are two types of crimes in Florida: misdemeanors and felonies. While the penalties for misdemeanor offenses are not as harsh as felonies, a conviction is still punishable by a lengthy sentence in jail.
The following are the misdemeanor classes in Florida:
- First-degree misdemeanors – This type of misdemeanor carries a jail term of no more than one year and a maximum fine of $1,000.
- Second-degree misdemeanors – This type of misdemeanor is punishable by a maximum jail sentence of 60 days and a fine not exceeding $500.
By contrast, felonies are more serious crimes. Getting convicted of a felony can lead to a sentence in state prison. Furthermore, if you have been convicted of two or more felonies, another felony conviction can result in a longer prison sentence.
FL felony classes include:
- Capital and life felonies – This type of felony is reserved for the most serious offenses and punishable by either life imprisonment without parole or the death penalty.
- First-degree felonies – This type of felony carries a prison term of up to 30 years and a maximum fine of $10,000.
- Second-degree felonies – This type of felony is punishable by imprisonment for up to 15 years and a maximum fine of $10,000.
- Third-degree felonies – This type of felony carries a prison sentence of up to five years and a maximum fine of $5,000.
Not only does a misdemeanor or felony conviction lead to harsh criminal penalties, but it can also result in a criminal record that can negatively impact on your life. When your freedom and life are on the line, let our Fort Myers criminal defense attorneys from the Law Offices of Cavanaugh & Cavanaugh, P.A. fight for you.
Let the Law Offices of Cavanaugh & Cavanaugh, P.A. Help You Today!
In order to get convicted, the prosecution must prove “beyond a reasonable doubt” that you are guilty of the alleged offense. However, if we find that the police violated your constitutional rights during your arrest or there are weaknesses in the prosecution’s case against you, we can help you get the most positive outcome.
Call (239) 309-2006 to speak with a Fort Myers criminal defense lawyer immediately.
Attorneys That Put You FirstView Us Through the Eyes of Our Clients
Qualities That Define Our FirmCount on Local Attorneys You Can Trust
We are Committed to Excellence
We Pride Ourselves on Excellent Client Communication and Superb Customer Service
We Consistently Deliver on Commitments and Promises
We are Loyal to our Clients and Staff
Our Attorneys Have Over 45 Years of Combined Legal Experience