What is the new Criminal Justice reform called the First Step Act?
Some things to know:
- Why is reform necessary: The US has more people in prison than any other country in the world.
- Will this new law significantly reduce prison populations? No
The Criminal Justice reform includes:
- It is a bill that received bipartisan support
- It only affects federal inmates (but Florida is working on one too – more later)
- The law makes a 2010 law retroactive – about 2600 prisoners will receive reduced sentences based on the elimination of crack/powder cocaine punishment disparity
- Inmates receive greater “gain time”
- Judges have more flexibility to sentence around “mandatory minimum sentences.”
- Through rehab, inmates can be released sooner to halfway houses and home detention.
For more information, contact us today at (239) 309-2006.